Self-storage is a fantastic way to store anything that you don’t want to clutter up your home or garage. The units are available in many sizes and most are completely secure. The storage unit prices in the Greater Toronto Area will depend on several things, including the size, whether or not it is climate controlled, accessibility, and its location.
The first thing to consider is that storage units come in a variety of sizes. Some are as small as closets; others are spacious enough to accommodate two cars and a few articles of furniture comfortably. In most cases, the larger the unit is, the more you can expect to pay to store your things. You can contact your self-storage provider in Dallas to determine the sizes that are available and obtain pricing for them. Some of the common sizes include:
- 5ftx5ft – These are the size of a large closet or half bathroom and are designed for storing boxes or other small items.
- 5ftx10ft – These units can be compared to a traditional walk-in closet. They can fit about a room’s worth of furniture, including a couch, chair, dresser, etc.
- 10×15 – This size can comfortably fit the furnishings of a two-bedroom house or apartment. The size can be compared to that of a large bedroom.
- 10×20 – This unit is the size of a single-car garage and is perfect for storing the items from three- to four-bedroom homes.
The GTA can get very hot in the summer and very cold in the winter. There are some items that may not stand up to exposure to these extremes, and this is when you will want to consider a climate controlled unit. If you are going to store treasures like guitars and pianos, this is vital to prevent warping and other damage. What’s more, if you’ll be frequently adding to or removing from your unit, it won’t be sweltering or freezing inside.
Another factor to think about when it comes to pricing self-storage units in the GTA is their overall accessibility. There are several different factors that go into this, too. They include:
- Multi-level facilities. If there is more than one floor, you can expect that access to first-floor storage will come at a premium price.
- Indoor Access. Some self-storage units are located in huge warehouse-like buildings that boast a common area, allowing you inside entry. In some cases, the owners may charge a premium for this, too. However, it is important to consider that it may take more effort to load and unload your items to and from a vehicle.
- Outdoor Access. There are units that have outdoor access, or sometimes referred to as drive-up access. These types of storage units can a bit cheaper compared to an indoor unit as they are typically not climate-controlled.
Security is a big deal when it comes to storage facilities, especially in a big city like Toronto. You should ask the manager these five questions about the security of the facility. Find out whether there is camera surveillance, if a security guard is on patrol, how sound the locking mechanisms are, and whether or not you will be immediately notified if a break-in is attempted. Again, expect to pay more for better security measures.
Something else to consider is the location of the self-storage unit. It is likely that those located in the heart of the city will be more expensive than those in the suburbs or even out in the rural areas. Since they are convenient, they will often cost more. The best way to get a great deal is to check several different facilities to discover which one fits your needs as well as your budget.
For more information feel free to visit the Planet Storage webpage for information or call 416-766-1655 to speak with a storage consultant.
See you soon 🙂